I urge you to shop locally and support local businesses
The Covid lockdowns may have finished, but that doesn’t mean businesses have recovered. I know I have a business Xara Skin Clinic in Lane Cove. Before Covid we where doing well growing and investing in equipment. In a high technology business such as this, having the best and the latest is important to deliver results to customers.
Take for example January was the worst month ever, we where down 80%, yes it is recovering but slowly and is no where near pre Covid. In January we had to let our staff go as there was no work or money to pay them, it is tough but you have to do what you have to do. Yes I know we are not the only ones.
The fantastic restaurant below us opened just before Covid and was closed just after by NSW Health. They got nothing from the government as the test was what you where doing a year ago compared to then. They where not open a year ago, so nothing and where prevented from earning money.
Thankfully they pulled through, but it cost them.
What is a local business
A local business can be your next door neighbour, someone that knows your name. Someone that you can have a chat too and is interested in you and not just your money. They are not like your multi national companies that are run by marketing teams, the outlets are cool and you are just $’s to them.
What pain was caused?
You only have to look around to see it, in the affluent North Shore it seems that every third or four shop is up for lease. This comes from a what I see as a misguided policy that put the protection of all on small businesses. The businesses where nowhere near compensated for the losses, to protect others.
Now these failed businesses, where in most cases not the fault of the owners running the businesses, some have been running for years. What this has caused is for owners to lose their livelihood and in some cases their homes. Lock downs and people not going out and spending.
Under a rock
People can’t live for ever under a rock, you have to live a life. Our house is double vaxed yet we have three covid cases in the house in two months. One could ask if the governments response was disproportionate to the risk? None of us need medical care and in most cases the flue was worse.
Please spend locally and help your businesses that are still taking a hit from Covid. They are the ones that did the heavy lifting and go screwed for doing it.No schema found.
- While I am talking about WH Smith June 24, 2022
- Shopping WH Smith at Perth airport June 23, 2022
- VIC newsagents: you have 1 more day to improve ventilation in-store to access a $500 grant June 22, 2022
- Questions from newsagents on websites June 21, 2022
- Google needs to do better in managing business reviews June 21, 2022
- Free online workshop: Websites for newsagents June 20, 2022
- The nursery opportunity for Aussie newsagents June 19, 2022
- Promoting magazine range June 17, 2022
- The battle for early toy sales June 16, 2022
- How small business retailers can manage and be prepared for the increase in labour cost June 15, 2022
- ACM announces significant price increases to regional newspapers June 14, 2022
- Wong heads to Vietnam, Malaysia June 25, 2022
- The red dust pilgrimage to Birdsville June 24, 2022
- Ukraine troops quit key battleground city June 24, 2022
- Afghan aftershock kills five, aid arrives June 24, 2022
- US ex-cop who killed Damond to be freed June 24, 2022
- US top court overturns Roe v Wade ruling June 24, 2022
- Believe in RBA to avoid recession: Lowe June 24, 2022
- Bluey is king of the kids with close to a million viewers June 24, 2022
- The US Supreme Court declares open season on America June 24, 2022
- Who are teal voters really? Angry Liberals or clever Labor and Greens voters? June 24, 2022